Before and after septic pictures and the drainfield installation process
We recently completed a project in Lutz, Florida. Another company tried an alternative drainfield repair using an aeration unit. The drainfield was not functioning. So we had to excavate the bad drainfield and the bad soil and haul it away. We replaced the bad soil with washed septic sand. This is a must for a properly designed septic system.
Proper drainage of the septic system requires a soil test to determine what the soil loading rate is for the native soils onsite. Once the size is determined the bad soil is removed and good soil is placed to aid in the drainage.
Once the the drainfield has been installed it is time for the Health Department to inspect the system and determine if the construction was done properly. Covering the system requires the right equipment to be used. We use track machines to lessen the load on the soil.
When SWS covers we haul away any debris and have your site ready for your landscaping to be re-installed. If you don’t have a local landscaper we can recommend a company or two.
If you are in the Tampa Area and need a new septic or drainfield then give us a call at 813-785-0500.
Septic tank installation requires a company that has the right equipment and know-how.
Southern Water and Soil, Inc., installed new tanks for a mobile home park that was adding 6 new homes to the park.
Installing septic tanks requires the right equipment at the right time. There are many factors that can make an installation go wrong. If the groundwater is too high then the ground may have to be dewattered. This can add 3,000 dollars to the project in a hurry.
Adding water to the tanks is very important to keep the septic tank from floating out of the ground. This also provides stability to the tanks after getting them set in place.
If you need a new septic system installed then don’t hesitate to give us a call. We can make sure you get the best product for your installation.
SWS provides septic drainfield repair and replacement. Call SWS for your septic problem evaluation.
Southern Water and Soil, Inc., is one of Tampa’s best septic system replacement and repair specialists. The owner is Greg Mayfield. Greg is a former Florida Department of Health septic system inspector. He has worked in the industry for over 17 years and is familiar with the State of Florida septic rules. This is very important because when receiving quotes for drain field replacements it is important that the installer understands the rules.
Separation from seasonal high water tables, whether the system will be mounded, is there a limiting soil later… This is all important information and the homeowner needs to know the options. Should I get a low pressure dosing system? Should I get a time dosed control panel? What is the difference between an alarm an a time dosed control panel?
A time dosed control panel disperses water out in increments and allows the drainfield time to soak up the effluent that is applied. This allows the drainfield to recover and last longer.
Sometimes a drainfield replacement is required due to drainfield failure. There are many things that can cause a drainfield to fail.
1. Excessive water use
2. Water leaks
3. Use of Fats, oils, and greases
4. Harmful chemicals
5. Roots from trees
6. System damage by vehicular traffic.
7. System damage or botched repairs.
We have seen many different things that can cause septic problems. It is important that you can trust someone to repair the system correctly.
Call SWS and we can get your septic problems resolved with sound science. We provide septic service to the surrounding Tampa Bay area.
This week we were working on two convenience stores that had been repaired in the last three years. The company had trusted the previous company to repair the system properly. One system had a tank that was cracked and the other system had risers and lids that leaked.
It pays to inspect what you are paying for when you higher a contractor. This got by the County Health Inspector. This riser had cracks in riser itself and it was not properly attached to the tank. This can cause a huge problem because when the seasonal high ground water table is higher than the interface of where the riser meets the tank then excess water leaks into the tank and is pumped into the drainfield. In this instance it caused the premature failure of the drainfield. If someone is installing a drainfield that it should last a lot longer than 3 years. Diagosing these failures properly is what you pay a good contractor to do.
The installation of dual alternating septic pumps is a requirement on systems over 500 gpd on commercial septic systems and residential systems over 2000 square feet. It is not a bad idea to have a built in redundancy for systems. We can design a system for a redundant or lag pump in the event of a main pump failure. We can make it so that you will get an alarm; however, the system will continue to function with the lag pump.
Installing commercial filters can improve the efficiency of the filtering depending on which filter you purchase. SWS carries filters from Tuf-Tite, Orenco, and Bear Onsite. These filters have been proving over time to provide excellent effluent filtering capabilities. There is a lot of science on effluent filters. The two main factors that affect the filtering capabilities is the pore size of the effluent filter and the amount of surface area that the filter has. The larger to orrifice size on the filter the more sludge that can enter the drainfield. The amount of surface area that the filter has determines the cleaning interval. So, the better filters have smaller pore size and more surface area. If you have small pore size and small surface area then the filter clogs too quickly.
When it comes to septic system design and diagnostics allow the professional team and Southern Water and Soil, Inc., provide you with excellent service.
Aging septic tanks can cause problems by allowing untreated wastewater to enter the groundwater supply. Also, another problem is that water can enter the septic system and overflow the drainfield and cause premature failure. We have seen where seals have deterioted overtime and cause tanks to be leaky.
Properly sealed tanks and structurally sound septic tanks are needed to protect our environment and provide proper treatment of the septic tank effluent. If you have a septic system that leaks it can damage your drainfield or pollute waters for drinking and recreation. The responsible thing to do is to have your septic system inspected for potential problems and avert them before they occur.
SWS can replace your septic tank with a new HDPE tank that doesn’t crack or leak like concrete tanks. These tanks are an injection molded tank that is stronger than other poly tanks. The tank pictured was installed in Zephyrhills, Fl just outside of Tampa, FL.
If you are in the Tampa Bay Area and you have a leaking or aging septic tank don’t hesitate to call the septic experts at SWS @ 813-785-0500.
We get many calls on how much a septic system installation cost will be. There are many factors that affect the cost of your septic system. We will discuss some of these factors here today:
1. Soil Conditions – The type of soil that is at your property is very much a concern. Soils can vary from lot to lot. If your lot is large it can vary 20-30 feet away. It is important to have a soil test done exactly where the system is going to be installed. Soils can change the cost of your septic system by thousands of dollars. We have had excavations that have had to be excavated to 6-7 feet below grade. This can influence the type of septic that can be installed. There are alternative septic systems that can be installed that can reduce mound heights.
2. Seasonal High Water Table – Where the seasonal high water table is located influences the height of your septic system. A high water table increases the height of where we can install the septic system. This change in height creates added cost due to septic sand being brought onto the site. We have seen added costs to the tune of $10,000. If you are purchasing land that is on septic a site suitability would be a prudent thing to do.
3. Septic System Products – The type of septic system products that you choose can affect the cost. Optional items can be purchased that increase the cost of the system. However, there are many beneficial products that keep maintenance costs down. There are many types of tanks, effluent filters, pumps, drainfield products, and control panels. It is important to know what kind of product is being installed. SWS will educate you on the type of products that can be used on your system and cost differences.
4. Septic and Drainfield Design – If the septic system is an engineered system then the type of design can affect the septic system cost. Most engineers are not experienced enough in septic systems to value engineer the septic system. At SWS we are an engineered septic contractor. We are a design-build-operate company. We want the system to function properly and effectively. Southern Water and Soil, Inc., is a registered septic tank contractor and septic system engineering company located in Tampa, FL. We provide cost effective septic designs and solutions. When value engineering is a concern SWS is on top of it. SWS educates the owner as to the septic system options. Whether it is a conventional in-ground septic system, mounded septic system, aerobic system, drip system, or low pressure dosing system SWS can get it done.
5. Building Size – The size of your structure has an influence on the cost of the septic system. The Florida Department of Health dictates the sizes of the septic system in the Florida Administrative Code. The larger the home or office the more the septic system will cost due to the system being sized larger.
6. Number of Persons – The number of people that the system services affects the size of the septic system. A system designed for a 1 bedroom home and 2 people can be smaller than a 6 bedroom home serving 6 people.
If you are thinking about having a new septic system installed in the Tampa, Florida are then call the septic system experts at Southern Water and Soil, Inc.
SWS installs oil water separators and septic tanks in Tampa Bay Area.
Southern Water and Soil, Inc., was asked to help install a car wash recycling system for a plumbing company that we work with. As part of the installation we installed an oil-water separator and sampling basin. SWS installed 3 – 1500 gallon H20 rated traffic bearing structures to complete the system.
To top off the difficulty we had to fit all of this in an existing building with only 23 feet of clearance.
Tight spots and small lots has been Southern Water and Soil’s specialty. If it can be done SWS can do it.